Transform from Direct to Indirect Speech
1. “How much do you want?” said the Mayor. “A thousand guilders,” said the pied piper. “All right,” said the Mayor. “We’ll pay you a thousand guilders. When will you set to work?” “Now,” said the pied piper.
Answer: The Mayor asked the pied piper how much he wanted. The pied piper replied that he wanted a thousand guilders. The Mayor agreed and said that they would pay him a thousand guilders and asked when he would set to work. The pied piper replied that he would start then.Vocational & Continuing Education
2. “Have you saved something for the future?” said the richman. “No,’ said the cobbler. “I am happy with the present and think little about tomorrow.” “No, that would not do,” said the richman. “I like to see you above want. Have this money and keep it.”
Answer: The rich man asked the cobbler if he had saved something for the future. The cobbler replied that he had not, adding that he was happy with the present and thought little about tomorrow. The rich man said that that would not do and added that he liked to see him above want. He offered him some money and told him to keep it.
3. ‘Why are your children crying, my daughter?” said the Caliph. “They have been starving,” said the woman. “Have you none else in the world?” “My husband died some months ago. He left them neither money nor any property. So, they are in great distress. They have to starve sometimes.” “Oh! Let me see, how I can help you,” said the Caliph.
Answer: The Caliph asked his daughter why her children were crying. The woman replied that they had been starving. The Caliph asked if she had none else in the world. The woman replied that her husband had died some months before and had left them neither money nor any property. She added that they were in great distress and had to starve sometimes. The Caliph exclaimed with sympathy and said that he would see how he could help her.
4. “My sons,” said he. “A great treasure lies hidden in the estate. I am about to leave you.” “Where is it hidden?” said the sons. “I am about to tell you,” said the old man. “But you must dig the land for it.
Answer: The old man told his sons to listen to him. Then he proceeded that a great treasure lay hidden in the land. He added that he was going to leave it to them. The sons wanted to know how they would find it. The old man replied that they had to dig the land for it.
5. “I never drink anything for luncheon,” she said. “Neither do I,” I answered promptly.“Except white wine,” she proceeded as though I had not spoken. “These French white wines are so light. They are wonderful for the digestion.”
Answer: She said that she never drank anything for luncheon. I replied promptly that neither did I. She continued as though I had not spoken, saying that she drank white wine and added that those French white wines were so light that they were wonderful for the digestion.
Try Yourself
1. “Sir,” he said, “May I ask you a question?” “Of course.” “I was absent from your class yesterday and could not understand the lesson.” “OK, if you are free after this class, meet me in the teachers’ room. I will help you.” “Thank you sir,” “You’re welcome, my son.”
2. Returning home, my mother said to me, “Your progress in studies is very slow. You always move about with a group of your friends. Aren’t you idling away your time with them? Can’t you be more serious?” “I am sorry and I will amend myself,” I replied.
3. “Good morning, Habib. How are you?” said Nabil. “How much preparation have you taken for the coming Test Exam?” “A great preparation,” replied he. “I can stand first.” “Wah, what a lucky boy!” said Nabil, “But my preparation is not very nice.” “Don’t get nervous, rather go on trying,” advised Habib.
4. “Have you learnt your lessons?” father said to Arman. “No, I’ve forgotten,” said he. “That’s very bad. You must be more careful about your preparation for the examination. By doing so, you can make a good result,” said his father. “Thank you very much for your timely advice.”
5. “Whose picture is it?” I asked. “A little girl’s of course,” said Grandmother. “Can’t you tell?” “Yes, but did you know the girl?” “Yes, I knew her,” said Granny, “But she was a very wicked girl and I shouldn’t tell you about her.”
Transform from Indirect to Direct Speech
1. The teacher asked his student if he had heard the name of Aesop. He (S) respectfully replied in the negative and asked him (T) who he was. The teacher advised him to read the lesson attentively and then he would be able to know about him. The teacher exclaimed that his fables are very interesting and instructive.
2. Jim asked Della if she had cut off her hair. She replied that she had cut off her hair and sold it. Then she asked him if he didn’t like her just as well anyhow. She added that she was her without her hair. To get confirmation she further asked him if she was not so.
3. The traveler asked the peasant if he could tell him the way to the nearest Inn. The peasant replied that he could. The peasant asked the stranger if he wanted one in which he could spend the night. The Stranger replied that he did not wish to say there but only wanted a meal.
4. The noble man respectfully asked Sheikh Saddi why he was putting up the food in his pocket and why he did not eat. Sheikh Saddi replied that he was doing the right thing and added that his dress deserved those rich dishes. The noble man told him that he did not understand what he meant to say. He further told that he was sorry.
5. Della asked Madame if she (M) would buy her (D) hair. Madame replied that she (M) bought hair. Then she (M) told her (D) to take her (D) hat off and let them have a sight at the looks of the hair. After that Madame said that she (M) would give her (D) twenty dollars for her (D) hair. Della agreed and requested her (M) to give the money to her quickly.

0 Comments